Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Laurel Grill in the BACK BAY



Another restaurant.com experience, so we initially thought… dun dun dun (read on to see why I said such a comment)


I have been to this place before it is very fruity but the food is spicy and interesting.


I went with my friend, Liz and former roomie, Penny.


I ran about ten minutes late (which is so out of character for me) and once I arrived neither of us hesitated to run to the host to seat us due to our bellies rumbling.


By then Liz could have been on her second cocktail.


Once we sat down, we ordered the cheapest Pinto Grigio on the menu, which was a $21 bottle of Vos. We probably cheers to ourselves, quite selfish.


Anyways, Penny wanted to order the Pre-Fixe meal that was $19.99 so she initially did and then I handed over the restaurant.com gift certificate on top of that. The naïve server who had to spell out the specials at the rate of five words per minute due to her being in the country for barely two months was “told” she could not accept both restaurant.com and pre-fix promotions that night.


I questioned her and due to her lack of grammar / English skills, her second grade literature could not comprehend what I was saying….so she instantly ran away. Seriously.


A second later the manager, or manager of the night, this fat intense fellow came over flustered hollering they could not take two promotions of the night. I looked at him and told him to Relax. Honestly, clam down. I told asked him “why are you getting so worked up?” He was making all of us nervous. I assume the Brazilian waitress told him we were yelling at her because she did know the difference between asking and telling from her coming over to the States about two weeks ago ( I know I said two months but two weeks/two months same difference).


Penny made a deal with us and said she needed to get the hot brownie sundae no matter what and instead of the pre-fix $19.99 meal; we used the restaurant.com gift certificate.


I was impressed with how intimidating I was to this pathetic server. At least the bread was warm.


Liz ordered the Pasta Special and I ordered the spicy tomato and bean soup as well as… I am embarrassed to say again a Caesar Salad with both tomatoes and onions. I love onions. Penny was a bit more adventurous. She ordered the salad with bacon and blue cheese, honey glazed chicken with some veggies, and of course the chocolate warm sundae.


To make Penny happy, Liz and I shared Carrot Cake. The food was great but due to the lack of service, I probably will not go back.


Liz loves Carrot Cake. She even has a depressing story about it when it was served at her Birthday Party when she was a toddler.


We ordered one more glass of wine but figured the server with the IQ of 00 should have offered us another bottle because three glasses of the Vos was just as much as the bottle.


I gave a bad tip and Penny Judged.


We went to Liberty Hotel that night and I met up with Andrew and John Ramer…Do you know him?


Lesson: When a server opens their mouth and speaks…if you cannot understand the words chicken from steak. Ask for a new server.

No comments:

Post a Comment