Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Birshdawy Pawty



(under construction, more photos to come)

Usually at the end of a toast at a family reunion or your last week of senior year you typically here the over used saying "let's make memories."

Well I recently came back from my grandmothers 80th in Florida reminicining(sp) the unforgettable Saturday night.

On top of both the classy and divine dining experience, there was tons of family looking elegant and throwing back stiff beverages.

If you were a newborn a couple of months old or holding a cane to support you when walking, long story short, Everyone had a good time and yes, Made Memories.

             Let me babble about the dining at the Hyatt Country Club in Weston, Florida.  With the entree choices of chicken, steak or grouper and both chocolate and vanilla cakes I sat at the “kids table” (something’s never change) and the ages ranged from a single 1 year old (who by the way was hands down the best dressed male) to 28 year olds. 

I sat next to my twin, Ashley and cousin, Edmund. We all got the grouper, which if you have been watching Top Chef Masters is one of the most difficult fish to cook because it can be “over done” if it sits for longer than 30seconds with no heat! I got my fish warm and perfect (but this could have been due to the wine and vodka ginger ales I sipped on prior to sitting down for dinner ?maybe not?). The salad was very modern with candied walnuts and mesculn greens with a white Italian dressing that was delicious but had no genuine name, so we called it the  “white dressing.” There were two cakes (as mentioned) one for my grandmother(chocolate) who turned 80 and one for my cousin, Julian (vanilla) who was turning...the number after 29.

It had the Miami Dolphin logo stamped on the cake, which he insisted was not part of the ‘fish species.’ At Buffalo Bills games they holler to the Dolphins “Squish the Fish” (and I assume all buffalo bills fans are right? but how accurate can a team be that is up 11 points with 5 minutes left and still lose?)

Anyways, I had a nibble of the chocolate cake that was sitting @ my dads plate. My dad thinks he is on a strict Diet, so when he saw my fork stab his cake... I glanced once and He was defeienitaly judging.

After (or before?) the cake my godmother, Aunt Maria and Mother, Virginia wanted to take down a beverage with Edmund and myself . The beverage was a shot of tequila, which happened to be my cousin Christina’s first shot. (keep in mind Christina has been to college and never threw her head back and took a shot)

             Yes. First. And I was starring @ her the entire time once everyone held their glasses and cheered. Christina Took it… hands down like a champ. Like mother like daughter huh? I was watching Edmund’s face as well and I was embarrassed/judging/ unimpressed/ disappointed with his aftermath face. Snaps for Christiana.

Wait?! I forgot to talk about the expression on my grandmothers face. Her smile was huge and the first words that came out of her mouth were “you f word(er) ..you f word(er)…you F word(er)” Grandma, one word. Legend.

The first choice of music was the celebration theme song for Jewish weddings. The family went along with it and danced around my grandmother and Aunt Flo(which is my great-grandmothers sister..Snaps for Aunt Flo!). By the Way, We are Italianvery Italian. During the initial song, My dad proceeded to take Aunt Flo's cane and poke everyone with it. Let me repeat, The room was full with nothing but Italian blood. It was epic.

Before(after?) the dinner started although everyone moved to their designated tables, there was a rumor that cousin Nicky ordered a Stripper. True. Police outfit and everything! My father and some other real men went outside and insisted he retire to the 15yr old party next door (maybe they did?)..

Anyways my dad told everyone he pushed the stripper and he left. So intimidating? A stripper is typically over 6 ft ripped and toned. My dad is barely 6 ft with a recovering ACL tear. Yeah, that was definitely a true story.

The most memorable (I thought) of the night had to deal with shoes. Yes, shoes.  My mom, was Missing a Shoe, just one. …Why did you take your shoes off Virginia?  My father took Julian’s Birthday present, a set of golf clubs, grabbed the driver in the reception room and found a random shoe on the dance floor and proceeded to swing the club, with ideal form and hit it into the window. Dad, just because you are the baby of your family does not justify such behavior.

Talking about Julian’s birthday presents, one of his friends rolled in, seriously, rolled in with a motorized cooler. That is Awesome. How convenient?  I am currently putting a bid on Ebay for a similar model.

 

In the end when your family reunites after years and you are finally legally able to drink inappropriate beverages, things get wild.  

monumental memories. 

 

Lesson: People Don’t Forget. 

2 comments:

  1. That was great!!! But I was waiting for the story about the after party at the Hard Rock...
    Julian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes the party was definity epic.... And the afterparty was a blast too! It was great hanging out wiht you and your sis.

    ReplyDelete